Sexual Assault Advocates
Sexual assault services are always in need of volunteer advocated to help support victims of sexual violence.
Advocate’s Job Responsibilities:
-Advocates are on call on the 24-hour crisis hotline. Advocates are asked to carry cell phones when they are on-call.
-Advocates provide crisis counseling, a crime victim information packet, and medical advocacy at the Freeport Emergency Room to sexual assault victims and their loved ones.
– Advocates also provide crisis counseling, information, and referral by phone through the 24-hour hotline.
– Advocates may be asked to attend sexual assault/abuse court proceedings at the Stephenson County Courthouse.
– Advocates are asked to attend annual in-service trainings tin order to review policy and procedures and other relevant program information.
Requirements to be a Volunteer Advocate:
- You must successfully complete the 40-hour Advocate Training held by the staff at Voice of Stephenson County.
- You must be able to demonstrate all advocacy skills in an appropriate and professional manner.
- You must be available to man the 24-hour crisis hotline at least 1 weekend or 5 weekdays every month.
- You must be at least 18 years of age and have a valid driver’s license and insurance.
Please call our office to sign up for the next training at 815-232-7200